Re: Mac OS X nightlies are up!

Hi,

sounds all reasonable and clear, Garth. Thank you for the explanation!

Personally, I have no problem in building my own version from the sources, but I think there
are still quite a bunch of Core2s in Apple machines out there, so perhaps the nightlies
should go for a more backwards compatibility than i5 and siblings.

Looking here,

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Homebrew/os/mac/hardware.rb

it seems that Homebrew indeed makes different choices for -march depending on the CPU type
found. So, I think the "best arch for compatibility" then would probably be the oldest intel
CPU found there, which seems to be Core Duo.

Another solution would of course be to simply state in the README that the nightlies won't
work on machines lower than i5. As I said, I have no problem in building Kicad myself. I just
wanted to report my experience with the nightlies, which are nonetheless a great improvement
for new, unexperienced Mac OSX users.

So again, thank you all for your great work and help!

Best,
Johannes