Failed to load libraries when installed with DESTDIR

installed to a local dir after make finished compiling using:
make install DESTDIR=~/kicad_daily_3_29

then launching with:
cd ~/kicad_daily_3_29/usr/local/bin
./kicad

but upon opening eeschema from the project-launcher (./kicad GUI), it
complains hat it couldn't load any of the default libraries. I then
went on to use the bash script:
cd ~/kicad_daily_3_29/usr/local/share/doc/kicad/scripts
bash library-repos-install.sh --install-prerequisites
bash library-repos-install.sh --install-or-update

(oh and by the way the usage message incorrectly states the script
name is library-sources-install.sh)

but no luck, even after it git clones all the .pretty files... kicad
still doesn't find the default symbols.

even if I:
cp ~/kicad_sources/library-repos/kicad-library/template/fp-lib-table.for-pretty
~/.config/kicad/fp-lib-table

no luck... nor if I set this env variable:
export KISYSMOD=~/kicad_sources/library-repos

Even if I go to eeschema's "Preferences" menu, then the "Component
Libraries" dialog and set the "User defined search path" to the dir
"~/kicad_sources/library-repos" it doesn't find the defaults.

I don't know what to do, other than think something something
somewhere in the code is broken.

Follow ups