Re: Bob's Mac Usability Problems

> On Apr 4, 2015, at 8:15 AM, Bob Gustafson <bobgus@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Testing report on this nightly build:
>
> Application: kicad
> Version: (2015-04-03 BZR 5572)-product Release build
> wxWidgets: Version 3.0.2 (debug,UTF-8,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,GCC 4.2.1,STL containers,compatible with 2.8)
> Platform: Mac OS X (Darwin 14.1.0 x86_64), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac
> Boost version: 1.54.0
>          USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
>          USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
>          KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
>          KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
>          KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
>          USE_FP_LIB_TABLE=HARD_CODED_ON
>          BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
>          KICAD_USE_WEBKIT=OFF
>
> This is the latest OS X nightly build from Adam - http://downloads.kicad-pcb.org/osx/DEBUG/ <http://downloads.kicad-pcb.org/osx/DEBUG/>
>
> In the pcbnew window, the scripting console seems to work fine (It responds to ‘help()’ )
>
> I don’t think it has the trackpad patches installed yet, but the pcbnew and eeschema windows do pan horizontally in response to CMD - two finger move on the trackpad. pcbnew does this in all three view modes (default, OpenGL, and Cairo). The OpenGL mode has the smoothest motion.
>
> The panning direction is opposite to the direction of two finger panning in other Mac applications.
>
> Also, adding the shift key - shift CMD two finger move, I was expecting the panning motion to be up-down, but it is actually panning on a 45 deg angle NW-SE in the pcbnew window. This key combination gives in-out zoom on the eeschema window.

I believe the diagonal panning is the wxWidgets bug that I was talking about in my most recent response to Nick, which he forwarded to the list.

It exposed the fact that wxWidgets changes the axis on shifted mousewheel events and is the reason that I reversed the shift and cmd modifiers for horizontal and vertical panning in my branch.  Well, that plus the fact that every other Mac application on the planet uses shift for horizontal scrolling.

Regular nightly builds of the product branch would need wxwidgets-3.0.0_macosx_scrolledwindow.patch applied to fix this, which i sent to the list some time back and Wayne committed.

Garth