Re: hard crash with pcbnew

On 05/06/2015 04:14 PM, Andy Peters wrote:
On May 6, 2015, at 2:03 PM, Bob Gustafson <bobgus@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Andy

I was testing Adam's 5645 Nightly version with the scripting turned on. I was not able to get it to crash, but I also was not able to find the trigger for "Edit Line Segment Properties" dialog box. I was in Edge Cuts layer. See parallel posting.

Another possibility - go into Mac Finder and look at all of the KiCad components. Are the date and time about the same? I am seeing about 02:10 all on the same date (Today). If you have one or more with a different date, then that is a clue to re-install the set from the dmg file.
All were dated today at 1:18 AM. I drag the files from the install DMG to the Applications folder and let it overwrite existing files.

Let me know how to trigger the "Edit Line Segment Properties" dialog box and I will test what you did.
Edge cuts was kinda weird. I originally tried to draw the line in default mode, but I literally could not see the line until I zoomed in close. Apparently the default is to draw Edge Cuts as 0.001” wide. I switched to GAL mode and it was easier to select the cut line, and I changed the width to 0.01”. But it is very difficult to select a thin line without zooming way in.

And then it got weird. I needed to change my units from inches to mm (for ease in connector placements, no other) and the grid and the lines I drew wouldn’t match up. In other words, I changed the units to mm, changed the grid to a nice round number (like 5 mm) and when I edited the Edge Cuts properties, I would set them to a nice round number and they would never get on the grid. And then Kicad would crash and I’d have to start again.

-a

I have a board design with a 44 pin pcb edge connector, which needs a
board cut outline (the part is edge-156-44PINEDGE. There are a few lines
that look like board edge cuts, but they are in the F.SilkS layer. I
will use them as a guide.

Following along the instructions in:
http://www.wayneandlayne.com/blog/2013/02/26/kicad-tutorial-pcb-edges/
for pcb board edges:

Selecting 'Edge Cuts' layer, then the instructions say to toggle the
cursor from arrow to cross. (This does not work - no cross, but, when I
select the dotted line icon - voila the full screen cross appears. (you
may have to click the 'Edge Cuts' again too))

I drew almost a box with a pcb board connector sticking out the top.
There were some raggedy spots. In the OpenGL mode, the trash bin icon
for deleting does not work, but switching back to the default mode, the
trash bin does work. I was able to delete raggedy segments using the
trash bin in default mode, then switch back to OpenGL to draw new
straighter segments.

Still not perfect, but positive progress. I decide to save the project
here and try to provoke the crash that Andy has seen.

OK, when I double click on one of those cut line segments (I am in
regular arrow cursor mode), I get a big dialog box with the title "Line
Segment Properties". This is not quite "Edit Line Segment Properties",
but lets see what happens here.

I changed the width to .01" and dismissed the dialog box. The line looks
about the same and no crash.

When I double-clicked the line again, I got the 'Line Segment
Properties' box, and the 0.01" I had set before was now set back to the
default width. I will try again. I set the width to 0.04" to make a
noticable change. Before clicking on OK, I clicked on the default value
and then clicked back on the line width box - just to make sure the
value was 'set'. Then I clicked OK, and saw that line segment fatten up
to 0.04". Double-clicking the line again, the 'Line Segment Properties'
was still set to 0.04".  This is all in the OpenGL mode.

Changing the units from inches to mm. Go to the menu Dimensions->Grid
and then click on the Millimeters radio button. Click OK. Go back to
Dimensions->Grid and check that the Millimeters radio is still selected
- yes.

I changed the Grid Size X: from 0.01 to 5.0 and also the Grid Size Y: to
5.0. Click OK.

Nothing really happens, because the Grid doesn't show in OpenGL mode.

I switch to Default mode and I see the grid. Has it changed? I don't
remember what it looked like before, so I go back into Dimensions->Grid
and change the grid back to 0.01 in both X and Y.  Now, no grid dots -
either in Default or OpenGL.,,

I go back to Dimensions->Grid and change the Units back from Milimeters
to Inches. Click OK and still no grid dots, either in Default or
OpenGL.  Ahh, wait - zooming into the board - I see dots - lots of them,
and relatively close together. I am in Default mode.

Even Better - when I switch into OpenGL mode, I see faint grid lines -
no dots, but lines - up/down and sideways.

These lines and dots disappear when the board is zoomed back where I can
see all the parts. Although maybe the faint grid lines remain in OpenGL
mode.

Changing the Dimensions->Grid back to Millimeters and 5.0 - the faint
grid lines are still there in OpenGL mode, but the spacing is different
from 0.01 inches. Bigger.

The faint lines in OpenGL become easier to see if I tilt my computer so
the ceiling lights don't hit the screen, so maybe they are there at any
zoom level. The big squares.

Yes, in OpenGL the faint grid lines are there whether in inches or in mm.

----

OK, now set grid to 5.0 in mm and try to make it crash by going back
into 'Line Segment Properties' and changing the width from 0.04 inches
to 0.01 inches.  Yes, I did it and no crash. Also, the Line Segment
Properties seem to be always in inches, no matter that the grid has been
changed to Millimeters.

----

So, with all that clicking and changing, I was unable to get the Default
view or the OpenGL mode to crash.

Hope this helps.

Bob G