Re: update on IGES modeling

Hi Cirilo,

I think that the vrml libs are fine as they are used to render 3D pcb board with components in 3d-viewer and I use them to check all mechanical requirements without problems...

I agree with you about open shells in vrml and I imagine that could cause problem in conversion... but the conversion could manage that or the models could be adjusted...

VRML efficiency depends a lot from the way the model is created (I could find examples in opposite direction).

Anyway, I don't think adding IGES or IDF modules to kicad without the option to view the board and modules together inside 3d-viewer would be a useful/practical feature... You would need to add a module, export boards and modules open those in MCAD check mechanical positions, reopen in kicad, move modules, export again and re-check etc...

Are you planning to add the display feature for IGES models in 3d-viewer beside the IGES exporting option? That would be the way that could force people to move from vrml models/libs to IGES...

thanks
Maurice