Re: Schematic Symbol Philosophy?

The assignment of footprints to schematic symbols is largely a KiCad
quirk. Many other tools consider a component to be a single package
containing symbol and footprint. In my own library I have a part per
actual electronic part (one called MMBT3904, for instance), which
already has the Footprint field set from the very beginning, no mucking
about with the nightmare that is cvpcb.

Also, footprints are much more critical, in that you have to get all the
dimensions very correct, so it makes much more sense in terms of being
less error-prone to have multiple symbols linked to one footprint than
one symbol linked to multiple footprints.