Re: Schematic Symbol Philosophy?

05/06/15, 06:23, Adam Wolf kirjoitti:

> Years ago, I thought it was that the schematic was a "logical"
> representation of your circuit, and the assignment of footprints to
> schematic symbols was where you chose parts, especially for things like
> fets.

This issue has been discussed for years, but no consensus could be
reached how to do it. The long details are in the archives. Most
developers saw it as a non problem as they always draw schematics with
components, not symbols... Implying that they always know which
particular components they are going to use.

I would like to see a system where one assigns a component to a symbol.
Say the schematic has a NPN symbol which gets PN2222 component assigned
to it meaning also TO-92 footprint and 3D-model.

> Is this a transitory thing, or is this the way we've chosen to set up
> the official kicad libraries?

Because of open source I would consider it transitory :)

-Vesa