Re: Schematic Symbol Philosophy?

On Fri, Jun 05, 2015 at 02:31:06PM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 6/5/2015 2:00 PM, Andy Peters wrote:
> >
> > *snip *
>
> *snip* Trying to provide a fully defined symbol
> for every transistor would be a huge under taking.  Our solution may not
> be ideal but I'm not sure I want to sift through thousands (tens of
> thousands?) of transistor part numbers to find what I'm looking for.

You should never have to sift! We need to create a standardized way to
write description that is easily searched. This is how I manage my
library - it's quite large, but I know how the descriptions work and I
can just start typing what I'm looking for.

> I wonder how well Henner's component chooser search code would handle
>that
> number of symbols.

Optimize it if it can't! Searching through even *millions* of data
points is a solved problem in computing. Ideally we'd have optional
wildcard and regex search too - something I might be willing to
contribute to in the near future. These can all be quite fast if done
right.

--
Chris