Re: eeschema cmp-[back] button obsolete ?

On 6/18/2015 1:36 PM, Henner Zeller wrote:
> On 18 June 2015 at 10:13, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Yes, hitting the save button in CvPcb sends a KiwayExpress message to
>> Eeschema with the footprint assignments.
>>
>> The back import button has to remain for legacy designs and users who
>> don't import the .cmp file into the schematic and use the s-expr netlist
>> to load footprints in Pcbnew.  It can also be used to back import
>> footprint changes made in Pcbnew.
>
> Should we consider a whizzard that comes up when it sees a *.sch file
> opened with a *.cmp file also lying around
> and offers help merging these ? The whizzard only shows up if there
> are footprints missing in the *.sch file that are
> defined in the *.cmp file (the typical problem of someone migrating
> from the 'old way'). Next time, that automatically
> is not needed anymore.
>
> Otherwise I fear it is harder for people to discover what to do.
> Also it allows to quicker move users to the new way of doing things,
> and makes sure to have them migrated before
> they delete the assumed ephemeral *.cmp file (which is for instance a
> file I never checked into version control).
>
> -h

A wizard seems reasonable to me.  There was some code in CvPcb that
checked for differences between the footprints in the netlist file and
the .cmp file and allowed you to select which footprint to load.  I
think Dick removed it from CvPcb when he made the changes but it might
be work taking a look at it to see if it can be reused.