Re: Export to Solidworks

Hi Maurice, Cirilo and everyone,

Thanks for the advise.

I was able to run the demo with FreeCAD script, as was shown in youtube
video.

What I have now is a complete 3D model of my own board I can view on PCBnew
3D viewer. That looks fine and uses WRL models for each individual
component ( Usually downloaded and modified with FreeCAD and later Wings3D
for WRL.
I've generated an .emn file and run the macro, it gave me an error when it
could not find step files for components.

So, if I understand correctly, I would need two formats for each component,
WRL for kicad 3D viewer and step for the StepUp FreeCAD Macro, correct?.
Apparently going from VRML to STEP is not recommended so I should create
components in STEP format from FreeCAD.

Regarding documentation, I can tell you what my experience has been. I've
followed instructions to get a complete 3D model I could view with PCBnew,
assuming I was going to be able to export that to Solidworks somehow. For
kicad users maybe would be good to know STEP procedure before generating
all WRL models, or generating both at the same time.

It is the first time in my career that I attempt to generate a 3D model of
a PCB and interface with MCAD engineers this way.It is pretty exciting and
should save a lot of time in meetings.

Thanks!