Re: via net name Question, and quirks

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Lachlan Audas <laudas1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You can assign net name''s to via's,  when you add a track from pad to via
> then to track, (picking up the pad net name)
> if  the first pad to via track is deleted,  just leaving the via and
> track,   flood fill works as expected, connecting to that via/track,  but
> when you save and reload the board,  it drop's the net name on the
> via/track, and flood fill no longer connects to them.
>
> Is that by design ?   and why is unconnected pad to via/tack net name's
> deleted on save ?

Yes, this behavior is deliberate (and has been discussed a number of times
in the past).

> It would make life a lot easy if net name's were maintained on via's,  as
> when importing from Eagle,
> Eagle use's via's to power plan and flood fill connections, which also
> supports blind via's, which pad's don't.
> I notice, that in the KiCad pcb file net names are supported on via's.
>
> Lachlan.

In KiCad the vias are modeled as a type of track, but naturally an orphaned
track cannot
have a net. Any proposed changes to the current behavior would require a
lot of thought
since there are very many implications on the design and the automated
design checking
and various other functions and checks which are invisible to the user.

- Cirilo