Re: Most recently used path.

On 8/21/2015 6:12 PM, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
> I would opt for a config file.  I can't decide between a single
> MRU for each EDA_BASE_FRAME or one for each frame
> in PGM_BASE; no doubt with the different ways people work
> some would prefer one or the other.

Thanks for the input.  I'll probably make it per EDA_BASE_FRAME and save
the last MRU path per frame.

> While on the topic of paths and config files, a handful of users
> have complained in the past few months about setting the
> environment variables KISYSMOD and KISYS3DMOD
> especially under MSWin.  Perhaps we should store the values
> in the pcbnew config file and avoid the nightmare of setting
> up environment variables? I use the command line on Linux so
> it's no great hassle for me, but I once tried to look into how
> various desktop managers handle environment variables and
> I just gave up. The code which currently checks for an ENV
> can instead check for the value in the config file and if the
> config file has no value but the ENV does, use that value
> (and write it to the config file). Naturally this scheme would
> really annoy anyone who happens to set different values for
> those variables for each project but I can't imagine that would
> be a common use case. At any rate I expect this to be a
> short-term tweak; the KISYS3DMOD should disappear once
> the 3D model code is cleaned up and I imagine KISYSMOD
> will eventually disappear as work progresses with eeschema.

The environment variables now default to the correct install path on
systems that have sane package managers (read not windows) and are
stored in the kicad_common config file so they are available to all
kicad processes.  There is also a configuration dialog so users do not
have to set environment variables at the system or user level anymore.
I'm not sure how much more we can do to accommodate users in this
regard.  User's do not even need to use environment variables except for
the github plugin.  They could just as easily use hard coded paths for
all library access.