Re: proposed future changes for 3D model handling

Just to throw some numbers out there (from my Arch Linux install): my
version of KiCad (custom, locally-compiled package) is 66MiB, OpenCascade
by itself is 101MiB, and with all the dependencies it would pull in this
goes up to an extra 500MiB. It would be nice if it wasn't required in
order to run KiCad.
Cirilo just wrote it to make a point in the discussion. I think we are still
some years to have that issue with the size... but maybe.. at that time..
500Mb will be peanuts for the internet speeds. Anyway, IMO, if KiCad ever
use that library it maybe going into a very complex CAD application and that
may be not what is best to KiCad... at least at this (near future) moment.
IMHO, many additional functionalities (not core of design simple board) should be
developed as dynamic library plugins in independent repository, it's so strange
to compile every about 3000 files from reason of change few lines…

--
Best Regards,
LordBlick