cvpcb alternative

This is going to sound like a rant, because it is.
Don't stop reading because you think you know what I'm going to say, please.

Long on the list, devs have been asking for cmp files to go away, and cvpcb to become less prominent as a method for assigning footprints to components. I am totally fine with that.

Long on the list, devs have told users to make their own footprints because you can't trust the libraries to stay the same for your designs. I am totally fine with that.

EXCEPT the alternative methods are horrible.

I wish I had a video of me just now trying to make, save, and use a new footprint. The crux of the problem, as I see it, is the Library editor is remarkably unintuitive; making a footprint is EASY, saving it is HARD.

The "Select" button sends us to the "Library Browser" when assigning a footprint to a schematic symbol, and that feels like I just travelled back to the dark ages. I must have made thirty clicks when trying to do it this way, as compared to just selecting the footprint I need out of the list in cvpcb.

In fact, I think I'm going to have to make a video just to share my experience. I can understand why people have a problem doing this.

Follow ups