Re: suggested resolution (and other specs)

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 04:58:01PM +0200, Markus Hitter wrote:
> > - Up to 500 MB available hard disk space;
>
> Likely not sufficient. All these libraries take a lot of space. Recently
> my package manager reported 1.4 GB required space for the packages. Half
> the 3D models I currently have add 1.1 GB on top.
>
> 2 GB without 3D and 5 GB with 3D is probably closer to the truth.

Ok 5Gb then, thanks!

> > - 1280x1024 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at least 16K colors.
>
> I just tried with a small window on a larger screen, sizes around
> 1024x768 work ok. It's not ample, of course, but perfectly usable.

Mmmm with my HD 1336x768 in Pcbnew I have some buttons hided,  so I will
remain on 1280x1024. Than does _not_ mean that you cannot use it with
1024x768 screens, I just mean that we do not recommend it.
You are warned, just to avoid users complains.

> Even 800x600 basically works, but about half the toolbar buttons
> disappear then. One can use the regular menus, of course,
> still not good for a "recommended" setup.
Precisely.

> > - Graphic card with at least OpenGL 2.0, with hardware shaders. Check
> > the opengl specs of the card:
> >
> > - Intel: Intel cards are reported working from model HD2000 and higher.
> > No pre-HD models.
>
> A pre-HD model works just fine. With the default/Cairo canvas and with
> software emulated OpenGL canvas. The latter is simple, just run with
> LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1.

Good hint: I think this could be added in the FAQ for the adventurous user...

> BTW., the OpenGL canvas asks for v2.1, not v2.0.

Thanks! I will update.

> Minimum system requirements? Uhm, how about simply stating "A computer
> running one of the supported OS's, see the download section".

See the Adam reply...

Thanks you all! I already committed a pull request...

--

Marco Ciampa

| GNU/Linux User  #78271 |
| FSFE fellow       #364 |