Re: About collaboration, simulation, documentation, organisation, usability and documentation

> I spent a couple of days trying to get eSim to even run their examples
> on Windows with no success.

I don't want to advocate them, I've already written my opinion on eSim. But
their latest Windows version is working for me without problems (but it's
buggy). There are almost no component libraries though.

> To be honest, I have not looked at their source

The core of eSim functionality is written in Python, so it's cross-platform.
But as this is only a few classes and files, it would be easy to re-write all
of it to wxWindows. The only part that is compiled is the project manager app
which is not important from the perspective of KiCad.

> The problem with the lack of kicad (or
> eda in general) developers stems from the fact that you have to be more
> than a competent C++ programmer to hack on kicad. You also have to
> understand the problem domain which is designing schematics and laying
> out printed circuit boards. The number of developers that have this
> kind of experience is very very small.

This is exactly the reason why these "competent" developers should be shared
and cooperated among projects.
Moreover, there are many complex tasks in KiCad that don't need an EDA
expertise. They need rather the toolkit or wxWindows expertise. For instance
creation of a plugin framework discussed currently in another thread. Or
netlist exports which are essentially just conversions between two known
formats. Or many tasks from the road-map, like turning separate executable
modules of KiCad (PcbNew, EESChema etc.) into libraries. And many more.

> We actually do have an idea where we are headed and a road map

That's good, but they are still too vague for a newbie to learn what exactly
needs to be done.
On the other hand, it's funny that in the repository are 3 (!) actively
developed refactorings of the 3D Viewer. I understant that 3D modelling is
interesting and that you cannot prohibit to the developers to play with it,
but this is waste of effort.

         Martin.