Re: Plans for (OpenGL-/Cairo-/Default-) canvases after stable?

As far as I know the plan is to completely replace the legacy canvas with
the GAL setup. This is both the OpenGL renderer and the Cairo renderer. You
are correct that not all of the features from the legacy canvas have been
implemented in GAL, but has come a long way! Not sure of a timeline from
the CERN devs for finishing it out (or if that is on their roadmap at all
right now). It really isn't too bad to add the missing features to GAL,
I've done one or two myself. :)

In my opinion the cairo renderer really needs some speed improvements
before KiCad switches entirely to GAL. There are still too many systems out
there that don't support OpenGL 2.1 and need the cairo renderer.

Jon