Re: RC2

> On 08 Nov 2015, at 22:43, Aljaž Srebrnič <a2piratesoft@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 8 novembre 2015 at 21:59:19, Adam Wolf (adamwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adamwolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just out of curiosity… why/how would you want to put it into MacPorts?
>
> Well, for starters, I already have MacPorts on my machine, and it would be simpler for the users to update. Another thing would be that I already have WxWidgets installed on MacPorts, do I wouldn’t like having another copy just for kicad

You currently need a separate copy for KiCad, because it needs overlay support which isn’t available in wxWidgets mainline.
That’s one of the main reasons why KiCad build was made to produce a (Apple-like) self-contained application bundle and to not rely on any external library provided by, e.g., MacPorts (and, like it is on Linux).

If you want to have KiCad the MacPorts way (not including any dependency, but only its own libraries), you have to change the build system.
How does your port handle wxWidgets right now? Is it building its own copy of wxWidgets?

I also don’t see the point about updates… what is easier than just download a new .dmg image and drag&drop the new application to your applications folder? My MacPorts updates for sure not… :)
But, I guess that’s only a matter of taste and nothing to discuss further...

>> IMHO there is really no need to build it via MacPorts, especially due to the special patched wxWidgets libraries which are not available in MacPorts anyway.
>
> Well, we can either add them, or you can submit them upstream if they’re useful

They are in the wxWidgets bug tracker since many years now… of course, you can add those patches to MacPorts wxWidgets, but I don’t know if there are any impacts with other applications not knowing about those patches.

>> Downloading ready-made .dmg images from the website is probably much more easy than installing via Macports… (and, it doesn’t add another build variant to support/maintain).
>
> Easier than ‘port install kicad’? We have some requests for packaging kicad in our bug tracker [1]. What do you mean by having another build variant to support/maintain? It would (should!) be virtually identical to the copy you provide.

Well, I know enough people who don’t even know how a console looks like… :)

Regards,
Bernhard