Re: update on 3D refactor

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 8:00 PM, Nick Østergaard <oe.nick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Cirilo
>
> Thank you for the update. It looks good that the preview is becoming
> ready. :)
>
> Maybe you said this earlier, but what things do you plan to have done to
> be able to integrate with the product branch?
>
> Nick

Merging with the product branch requires a little thought. It is possible
to first merge a
cut down version of the 3D cache code - this will provide the improved
filename
resolution and file browser but no model preview. The second stage will be
a very
large merge and will essentially replace all of 3DViewer. Since 3DViewer is
not a
trivial piece of code I expect that work to go on into 2016 - hopefully it
is all done
before the middle of the year. The new 3DViewer and associated code will
provide
(a) plugin system which can be used to support any future 3D model formats,
(b) caching of 3D model data for faster loading, especially for MCAD models
which
use a lot of computing power to create the data for rendering, (c)
automatic capability
to write the cache data as a VRML file (this can be used to improve the VRML
export). The 3D model formats which will be initially supported are X3D,
VRML1/2,
and IDF - the addition of IDF will make it possible for users to see what
their IDF
export will look like via 3D viewer rather than the current workflow of
converting
to VRML via the 'idf2vrml' tool,

- Cirilo