Re: [patch] default kicad_common to environment variables

> I'm not sure what you mean by it did not work at all.  It does exactly
> what I designed to do.  It gives the user the ability to override the
> env variables by doing this:
>
> export KISYSMOD=/some/path/to/footprint/libraries
> kicad

But in this case (without the patch) this will not make the
KISYSMOD=/some/path/to/footprint/libraries on a fresh installation
(config not present or deleted). And this was the sole issue, in my
view. I hope you see what I mean.

> and to gives package devs a way to define where the library and template
> files are installed in a given package by defining DEFAULT_INSTALL_PATH.
>  The only error I can see is that if you do `export KISYSMOD=""` to
> undefined the env variable, I didn't check for an empty value so it will
> be empty in the fp-lib-table.  I probably should have also made sure the
> path actually exists before I assign it.  I just retested this to make
> sure it works as I intended to and it does.
>
> Mark's patch is a different solution to the DEFAULT_INSTALL_PATH problem
> which is as easily broken as my solution.  Don't believe me, try this.
> Install the library files in some path that is not in the correct path
> relative to the kicad bin path.  The default env variables will once
> again be wrong.  There is no perfect solution for this problem.

Yes, I understand, I would just like it to at least work in the most
common scenario. And that is when the windows user installs on his own
computer and user.

> Even if
> you added a solution to the installer package, it would only work for
> the user that installed the package.  The next user on the system would
> be at the mercy of the default install path issue.  Mark's solution only
> helps windows users when they change their default install path.  If our
> package devs are not configuring DEFAULT_INSTALL_PATH, then that is an
> issue.  I'm pretty sure I made an announcement on the developers mailing
> list that you would need to set this if your CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX was
> set to a temporary path for packaging purposes.  If I didn't, then my bad.

You did inform us something about the DEFAULT_INSTALL_PATH at an
earlier time when it was implemented. But this do not really help us
in the situation with the windows installer, where we allow the
enduser to install to an abritrary location.

So I want to use the env vars to runtime (when the installer runs) set
the path used for the installation, such that the libs will be found
for the vast majority of the users installing KiCad on windows.