Re: [RFC] Reorganize eeschema options a bit

Moin!

On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 12:16:12 -0500
Chris Pavlina <pavlina.chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Related to my previous mail, as it would add an option or two - Wayne
> suggested, and I agree, that the eeschema options dialog is getting
> stuffed. I suggested that I kind of wanted to rework the options system
> as a whole, but that's a big project, and organizing them has to come
> first anyway.

Cool! Thanks!

Will you be at FOSDEM? I have a couple of ideas regarding this, that I
would like to discuss.

> I can easily rearrange them, into multiple tabs; it shouldn't take more
> than an hour or so - nice quick change. How's this for a proposed tree
> of options? Each page will then be subdivided into simple groups of
> three or four options.

I am not so sure about the naming and grouping.
It somehow feels off. But I cannot point my finger at what it is.

How about the following (i'm not exactly sure whether it's better)

- General
	- Undo and Save
        	- Auto-save time interval
        	- Maximum undo items
	- Show page limits
	- Measurement units

- Editing
	- Repeat items
        	- Horizontal pitch of repeated items
	        - Vertical pitch of repeated items
	        - Increment of repeated labels
	- Field autoplacement
        	- Automatically place component fields
        	- Allow field autoplace to change justification
        	- Always align autoplaced fields to the 50 mil grid

- Keyboard and Mouse settings
	- Center and warp cursor on zoom
	- Use middle mouse button to pan
        - Limit panning to scroll size
        - Pan while moving object

- Text and Line setting
	- Grid size
	- Bus thickness
	- Line thickness
	- Part ID notation
	- Show grid
	- Restrict buses and wires to H and V orientation

- Default field names (I would make this its own tab, as it is now)

I agree with Tomasz that the options should not be removed from the dialog
and have placed them in their appropriate sections.
Actually, I think it's a good idea to have multiple places to change something
(as long as all dialogs are consistent).

			Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.