OS X drawing performance

Hi,

I played around on how to more efficiently draw the grid on OS X in legacy canvases.
Attached is a patch with the best improvement I found (without radical changes).

However, I am not really sure about it… on one of my machines it definitely is an improvement, on the other it doesn’t make a big difference.

So, could some of the OS X folks still compiling their own versions maybe test it and give feedback?
To get activated, you need to configure with “-DUSE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=ON”, because it uses wxGraphicContext (which probably was not directly used on OS X before, but shouldn’t be any problem).

I also have uploaded my build for anyone who might want to try without compiling to
  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxxu6Mh3pHubcTBjeXdaemNSblE
It should run on 10.10 and above (but probably not on older processors).
And no, package doesn’t look like official builds, there is no support, no scripting, no github plugin, … :)

It would especially be great if some of the users who recently complained about “borderline usability” could check to see if it makes things better for them.

Regards,
Bernhard

PS:
A really huge improvement (much more than the one above) would be to draw grid as lines.
However, this needs major tweaking of grid colors/transparency.
If you just draw lines like it is now you more or less only will see grid lines everywhere.

PPS:
I also tried drawing one row into a memory bitmap and blitting that one for each grid row (maybe a bit like the “optimized version” still mentioned in the comment in the code).
This is slower than directly drawing the grid...

Follow ups