Re: GCC and C++14

On 1/14/2016 6:48 PM, Chris Pavlina wrote:
> Fair enough.
>
> Once Ubuntu 16.04 hits, we'll have gcc >= 4.9 on all platforms we
> target, meaning this entire page will be filled in:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/C11Status
>
> I know you're tired of hearing it, so I'll drop it - though my personal
> view is that it brings a number of features we could make good use of to
> write cleaner and safer code, and we could benefit from it fairly
> significantly. I definitely understand the hesitance to make a change
> that blocks out platforms older than $X, though, particularly when $X is
> not vastly far in the past.

I agree with you but these features must be fully vetted before we start
using them in KiCad.  I don't want to use the main branch as a test bed.
 Maybe someone can set up branch just for testing c++11 stuff so that
when we are finally confident that c++11 support is robust enough across
a broad spectrum of compilers we can start merging it into the main branch.