Re: Discussion: Hidden Pins, Net labels

Ok, I see your point regarding not breaking old designs.

However: the current KiCad broke mine, since it does regard hidden pins different than "the old KiCad" (around 2013).
The old KiCad connected a visible "hidden pin" only to the connected net.
The current KiCad still connects it to "VDD" regardless of the connected net and therefore connects two different named nets. Which then forbids the use of "VDD" for a power net, when you use a KiCad library part with hidden pins in your design and connect its power pin to a no-"VDD" net.

BUT if I did "the right thing" right from start, KiCad would have warned me, that I connected two "power nets". Which it does when I place a "power flag" on each net. (Which is one way where KiCad forces its "true way" where other tools have the "power flag" built into the power net symbols.)

I learned my lesson on this one: do not use KiCad library parts, create your own.

Regarding multiple names on (not power) nets.
There was a discussion some time ago. If I remember correctly, most people that use that feature would be OK with net-aliases (which is what they use that feature for) and having a fixed name on that net. Currently when a net has a name and you add a new label it may occur that KiCad uses the new label name for the net. In the PCB the trace then gets a new name, which may not be what the user intended. Also with the current implementation you may accidentally connect two nets and have _no_ way to check this with ERC.

My proposal on this is:
Newer KiCad versions can check for multiple names on a net and raise an error/warning when it sees one.
Therefore the user has a way to see accidentally connected nets.
Regarding not breaking old designs:
One way:
KiCad will need a dialog window where the user can add aliases to the net to keep current functionality. This dialog may be accessible from the ERC report window to give the user a way to do it the "right way". Net aliases are then handled like net labels but do not (re)define the name of the net in the netlist.
OR second way:
The user ignores the error/warning and works as before.

  André