Re: Stable release 4.0.2

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 11:57 PM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I just checked and the library has been tagged with 4.0.2 but there were
> changes to device.lib since 4.0.1.  It looks like the POT component was
> resized which most likely will fire a component recovery for users who
> have POTs in their schematics.  I think we should ship component
> libraries that do not trigger a recovery during the 4 series stable
> releases so it looks like you should pull the 4.0.1 library for
> packaging for the remainder of version 4 stable releases.  I'll see if I
> can come up with a reasonable policy to eliminate confusion in the
> future.  We probably should just tag the library at X.0.0 when the
> stable version is released and use that for the entire stable release
> series to prevent any surprises for the user.  The other option is to
> create separate library packages and let the user assume the risk when
> updating the libraries.

I'm in favor of using a single library tag for an entire Stable release
series. For me the only acceptable changes, as is the case for software, is
if a component was wrong and later fixed. As in the case of software, any
fixes to erroneous components must be done via a branch and patch.
Due to the large number of files and rapid additions and changes, this
quickly becomes a nightmare unless someone wants to create a
meta-repository to pull in *all* tagged libraries and then only update
components which have been fixed.

- Cirilo