Re: Git transition

On 8/8/2016 12:23 PM, Chris Pavlina wrote:
> Well, we're not looking at Github anymore, right? Just Git on Launchpad?
> So the pull request thing doesn't matter.
>
> We use Stash (Bitbucket) at work, it seems to give much better control.
> GitLab is also popular. I really, really want to see us switch to git,
> as do many others, but I don't really care about GitHub and I think I'm
> not entirely alone. Git is wonderful; GitHub is just a git service, and
> honestly a bit of a mediocre one.
>
> I think there is an advantage to us being on GitHub which is the
> community exposure, since it's large and popular. The pull requests are
> a side effect of that, one comes with the other. I think we wouldn't
> really have a problem closing out frivolous PRs anyway. Also, there are
> multiple bots that you can use to "disable" PRs by automatically closing
> them, if you really want.
>
> I'm not sure what sort of notifications you're talking about, but
> there's probably already an easy way to do whatever it is you want with
> git, without tedious log-grepping. What are Launchpad's notifications
> like?

Anyone subscribed to lp:kicad will get an email notification of the
commit log entry and if the diff is less than 10K (I think) will also
get the diff as an attachment when a commit to lp:kicad.  The last time
I looked at the implementation status of git on LP, that still wasn't
complete unless I am misunderstanding what work they still have left to do.