RFC: use of DXF files

Hi Folks,

 DXF Import seems to be popular enough that we have the
occasional questions and complaints about how to use it
for a specific task. The items I can think of include:

1. being able to process Layers and associate a named
DXF Layer with a specific KiCad Layer.

2. "I can't import Feature X". This one comes up now and then;
the most popular is "why doesn't kicad support DXF filled
regions?" More recently someone was asking about importing
a DXF Point (what that would represent in KiCad is anyone's guess).

In the past I put a little work into a few minor fixes and adding
PolyLine support for outlines, but I haven't done anything more
since there seems to be no long-term plan for DXF. Does anyone
think some effort should go into a grand plan for how DXF can
interact with KiCad, especially on the Import side? If it is a
useful enough tool and we can come up with a sensible scheme
which general users would find useful I can put in a little time to
code it.

- Cirilo

Follow ups