Re: pcbnew - enable editing of associated net for tracks&vias

Well you got a point there regarding the netlist reparsing. One can work around this issue (like almost every other issue). I.e. the copying connections can be of course renamed by placing them on a valid connection point and trigger the auto relabeling. But does this feel intuitive?

The proposed patch is of course more useful if one gives the user the chance to decide if apperently orphaned elements should be automatically delabeled or not ( see https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/999057 ). I.e. one can get a bit more straight forward solution to the via problem (as users would be abled to modify the name of vias/track and decide if vias/tracks would lose their label automatically or not - an approach which works relatively good in eagle).

I beg your pardon if the following might be offensive but my first thought than i realized that kicad is relabeling stuff at its one will (might it be reasonable or not) and that I have no way to tell it not to do so was strange. After I realized that the user has no way to intuitively overwrite labels afterwards was a real wtf moment. It is likes microsoft decision to enforce automatic updates on win10 and introduce the "active hours" as a "convenient solution" - in the end the user has no real decision power about the updating itself.

Of course one can argue about the need of such modifications. There are many different, elaborated proposals about that topic and of course as many thoughful concerns. As this issue is around for many years and no solution seems to fulfill all needs I was thinking: Is not Kicad a tool for the user? Why cannot the user be allowed to do a change and decide about the "automatic" modifications if she or he thinks it is reasonable? Why cannot the user overwrite kicads decisions intuitively? Or should the user have the feeling to work most of the time around things which are done implicitely and/or are feeling weird (Or would anyone claim that the current workflow is fine in the face of heat and frequency of related topics) ?

Sorry if some parts might be taken as an offense-they are not meant to be. Actually I switched to kicad because of its nice push&shove feature and the ability to have unlimited boards and I think kicad is a good alternative to other solutions. In my humbled opinion what stops kicad from being great are some issues which are around and all are aware of it since years. I think a tool which is developed under the permise of being open and from users for users might deligate some more decision power during workflow to the end users and increase accessability on the data.

best regards,
Nox