Re: Stable version 4.0.5

On 11/13/2016 1:15 PM, Nick Østergaard wrote:
>> Hey Nick,
>>
>> The problem with the boost 1.61 bug fix in the master branch is that it
>> includes c++11 code.  That's why I didn't merge it into the stable
>> branch.  I want to avoid c++11 in the stable 4 branch so we will have to
>> let package devs know that they cannot build kicad against boost >=
>> 1.61.  If someone can fix the boost context issue without using any
>> c++11 code, I would accept a patch for that.
>
> Good.
>

>> I specifically changed the version string code to accept only two
>> conditions for creating version strings.  Case 1 is using git to
>> generate the version string when KicadVersion.cmake is set to the
>> default which it is current.  Case 2 is that I (or the release manager)
>> sets the version and branch settings in KiCadVersion.cmake which
>> overrides the git version string.  I don't want developers setting this
>> as we have in the past.
>
> What do you mean by developers setting this? I don't think any
> developers have set anything here.

Prior to the changes I made, you had to set KICAD_BUILD_VERSION and/or
KICAD_REPO to generate a stable version string.  Otherwise, you either
go the git version string or no-vcs-found.  This didn't work for package
devs who expect the source archive to build with the appropiate version
string without defining them at config time.

>> Apparently package devs hate it because they
>> had remember to set the version and branch strings at config time when
>> building from source archives otherwise they end up with no-vcs-found
>> version string.
>
> Well, I have a hard time to see how the current solution in 4.0 is
> addressing this issue. Does this mean that on the commit where you tag
> it 4.0.5 will change the set( _wvh_version_str "no-vcs-found" ) with
> set( _wvh_version_str "4.0.5" )?

Once the version is set to something other than "no-vcs-found" in
KiCadVersion.cmake, it takes precedence.  What I plan on doing is
setting it to 4.0.5 in the stable version tagged as 4.0.5 (hey that
almost makes sense!).  When I create the source archive, it wont be
necessary to define KICAD_BUILD_VERSION or KICAD_REPO.  Once that is
complete, I will can change the version string in KiCadVersion.cmake to
"4.0.6-pre" or something like that.

>> I see Chris added this back into the master branch but
>> I'm not sure I'm going to keep it.  Developers should be using the
>> version string generated by git and package devs should be using the
>> version set in KiCadVersion.cmake.  I can't see any reason for a third
>> option.
>
> As it works in 4.0 now, I can't set -DKICAD_BUILD_VERSION=4.0.5_rc1.
> It will still use the git version.
>
> I would expect to be able to override the version string in any case.
> For example if I wanted to make a release candidate build to sort out
> some packaging issues, it would be nice to see from the build that it
> was a release candidate if anyone reports a bug on it.

If you really need to be able to define the version at config time, I
can leave Chris' recent changes assuming they didn't break the behavior
of KiCadVersion.cmake.  Do other projects allow changing the build
version at config time?  I got the feeling from some of the comments
that this was "atypical".