Re: Version string updates.

On 11/26/2016 3:22 AM, Nick Østergaard wrote:
>> Correct.  Do we really need override the entire version string?  I've
>> been working under the assumption that we should be setting the base
>> version and users can use the optional variables to append to the base
>> version.  If we allow users to set the base version to anything, that
>> would open us up to version conflicts and/or errors (which has happened
>> in the past).
>
> How are you going to handle it with KiCadVersion.cmake? As is now,
> changing it will be a total override. Wouldn't it be better for it to
> behave differently if it was a git repo, meaning to use the string if
> the latest commit is that same tag. Otherwise you can still end up
> with many 4.0.5 versions that are really not the same commit.

I plan on setting the version in KiCadVersion.cmake for stable tagged
releases.  I think it makes sense to set it back to "no-vcs-found" in
the stable branch until the next tagged stable release.  I will always
be set to "no-vcs-found" in the master branch since we want the version
string generated by git for nightly builds.

>> I'm open to this idea but I want to make sure it's
>> necessary before I make any changes.  For stable releases, KICAD_VERSION
>> will be set to the version number so that should always be part of the
>> version string for stable releases.  This will work with source archives
>> and a git clone of the release tag.  In all other cases, the git
>> determines the base version string.
>
> This is not how it works on the master branch now. The
> KiCadVersion.cmake overrides in all cases.

KiCadVersion.cmake takes precedence when is configured for anything
other than "no-vcs-found".  The reason that I did it this way so that
the project has control over the base version string.  I don't know if
it's a good idea to allow anyone to set the base version string to
anything they want.  Is that something package devs typically do?