Re: [RFC] Future of GitHub libraries

Hello, Jon!

Thank you for your feedback, I fully agree with you. Just let me correct my own sentence:

> On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 8:31 AM, Clemens Koller <cko@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:cko@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>     Nobody should need to mess with an scm tool on a daily basis when doing electronics design.
>     It should be wrapped nicely behind the frontends.

"Nobody should be forced to mess around with an scm tool..."

I am absolutely fine using git. BOMs, and some library generators (as well as the generated libs) are managed with git.
Unfortunately my commercial tool mixes the order of the objects in the ascii exports (schematics, layout as well as libraries) with each export in a way that scm tools fail.
I believe they do that intentionally to encourage (force) more people to use their "recommended" commercial tool to do the design documentation.
It's smells so fishy down that road and it's time to move over to something where I can hold the steering wheel in my own hands if I need to.

> (Of course, if you have already created Gerber files, there are ways to do it)
> https://github.com/madworm/KiCad-Stuff/tree/master/scripts/visual-diffs_on_gerber-files
> You can see in the README how this can be used directly from Git

You don't even need a script. You can just use Gerbv's "Fast, with XOR" rendering method you can select in the GUI.

Regards,

Clemens