Re: Footprint preview panel - faster initialization (Tom?)

Hi Chris,

Are you sure this is really needed? GAL is also used in other dialogs,
such as footprint browser or pad properties editor, and they do not seem
to take a lot of time to load. What is the initialization time we are
speaking about?

Anyway, if you are determined to optimize it, it is only a win for
everyone. I do not think we have ever tried keeping a GAL instance
without showing it, but IMHO it should be possible. OpenGL GAL/Linux
combination might be whining if you start rendering when the window is
not visible, but you may simply call DRAW_PANEL_GAL::StopDrawing() and
DRAW_PANEL_GAL::StartDrawing() as necessary.

Regarding rendering to memory, it actually happens behind the scenes.
For Cairo the memory is easily accesible (CAIRO_GAL::wxOutput,
CAIRO_GAL::bitmapBuffer). OpenGL renders most of the objects (grid is an
exception) to a framebuffer. Admitted, this is GPU memory, but it might
be read using glReadPixels().

Regards,
Orson