Re: 3D Mouse (Spacenavigator) support

Hi all,

thanks for your feedback.
If you can meet these requirements, I see no reason why we would not
include the spacenavigator mouse support.
I think there shouldn't be any problem meeting these requirements. Thanks Wayne!
As far as libspnav goes, look through the source, it's actually pretty
simple. I'm not sure how blender is doing it, or whether this is a good
idea, but the device handling is actually pretty thinly veiled around
evdev.
After I looked at the source I found out that Blender uses a different approach for each OS:

 * Windows: RawInput (Low level HID API)
 * Linux: Uses spnav library
 * OSX: Dynamically links to the original 3Dconnexion driver

In my opinion the cleanest solution for KiCad would be to connect to the low level HID API of each OS and do not use any spacenav specific driver at all. That way there are no additional dependencies and the implementations for all three operating systems share a great ammount of code. As Dan noted, the libsnav "driver" (actually a deamon, to be more precise) is quite simple. It will serve as a good inspiration.

Jost