Re: [RFC] new connectivity algorithm - testers needed

On 6/23/2017 1:01 PM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a long testing period, it is time to commit the new connectivity
> algorithm. We have neither received any new bug reports, nor we could
> find any defects ourselves.
>
> Effectively it means:
> - long awaited stitching vias are at your service
> - ratsnest calculations should be much faster
> - ratsnest for imported Eagle boards is calculated correctly (due to
> stitching vias)
> - manual via stitching tool
>
> Enjoy! Thank you Tom!
>

> @Developers: There is more thing: please have a look at the attached
> patch. The new connectivity algorithm does not calculate links count, so
> I would remove it from .kicad_pcb files as well. Not to mention that it
> is not even parsed, so there is no point in saving it.
>
> Is it ok to remove them from the file format? This change is backward
> seems to be backward compatible, so I do not think it is required to
> bump the file format version.

I'm OK with this.  I don't see the links keyword being parsed anywhere
so I'm guessing I missed this when I wrote the parser.  I don't think
there is any need to bump the file format version.  Just make sure that
it doesn't break on v4.  VCS users may be unhappy with the change.

> While discussing this topic, I suggest also removing unconnected nodes
> count and board bounding box, as they are also computed on the fly.

I'm not sure the unconnected nodes count should go away.  I use this
quite often to make sure I have all of my nets routed before I run a
DRC.  I like the connection status information in the message panel.
I'm OK with not calculating the board board box on the fly if it's not
required for anything.