Mac questions: fast build and BRIGHT_BOX

Hi Mac developers:

1) is there an easy way to quickly rebuild a single app and run it?  I'm
used to being able to do that on Linux, but it seems like I can't run apps
out of the build directory on Mac (have to run "make install" which
repackages all applications and is slow).

2) It seems like BRIGHT_BOX doesn't display on Mac (OpenGL and Cairo) on my
machine (i.e. the green box around an item when the selection
disambiguation menu is shown) -- does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
-Jon

Follow ups