Re: A question about development environments for Kicad...

You can run it from build directory also on macOS, no need to install (I do this all the time).
You have to run the project manager (=> kicad.app) and eeschema, pcbnew, etc. from there.
Running standalone binaries won’t work.

Regards,
Bernhard