Re: KiCad Libraries (again)

Hi,

TL;DR
yes, please place information about new libraries, their changes and
plans on this to the KiCad website! But also keep information about
changed documentation or localizations here.

Am 15.09.2017 um 04:01 schrieb Adam Wolf:
> I really, really like the idea of having the libraries page on the
> KiCad website itself.
>
> I have run into numerous people who do not understand that the github
> libraries are "official".  Plus, this means that *for whatever reason*
> if the libraries move from github, the pages explaining the libraries
> stay in the same space.

And here the long version.
I guess the KiCad project can improving themselves here still a lot.
Even for me who is working with KiCad for now over two years it's
sometimes not really clear where to find something or what has changed.

It's fine to read a compact summarize of changes inside the binaries
that are the core of KiCad. But from a view of a packager KiCad for
Debian I need to invest a lot of time to collect all the various
information that I need to do a good packaging of all the KiCad stuff!
And this time is lost or not usable to do other things like testing
before going live with a new set of packages.

So, while Wayne is giving a overview of the bugfixes and modifications
for new stable release I totally miss such a overview for the libraries,
documentation and the internationalizing. This gives me the feeling
KiCad isn't *one* project, but more a project with a individual subsets
of projects that do not communicate as I expected this from a well
working project.
The Social Contract and the DFSG (Debian Free Software Guidelines) [1]
are really short, but especially point 4 of the Social Contract helps me
often to decide what to do if I'm unsure.

> Our priorities are our users and free software

The point is really small but holds all the sense of not only my doing,
so I'd wished KiCad has a more global thinking about the project. KiCad
aren't the applications only!

And one more point on the libraries and GitHub, please keep in mind that
probably a lot users don't may have direct access or only restricted
access to GitHub or the Internet at all! Even in the middle of Europe or
America there are places there is no fast Internet is available or
people are sitting simply behind a firewall that is not allowing free
access to GitHub or whatever website. All those user are depending on
off line downloads and on new released versions.
>From a users POV it's than hard to understand that libraries and there
structure of them have changed a lot between two micro versions!

[1] https://www.debian.org/social_contract

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert