Re: KiCad Libraries (again)

On 19 Sep 2017 2:05 am, "José Ignacio" <jose.cyborg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Probably, contributors would need to agree to be attributed as a group when
the work is embedded in a design (When the library is distributed in whole
or part they should get attributed individually as the GPL requires).
Ownership transfer shouldn't be necessary. a CLA is a good idea anyway to
ensure all contributions are licensed with all the terms you think they
are, and everyone is given proper attribution.

I think ownership transfer happens automatically when opening a pull
request. But having contributers sign an explicit agreement can't hurt.

IANAL but i think something that would make everyone happy is to have these
conditions apply:

1) When distributing the libraries in whole or in part the whole GPL
applies, with it's requirements on disclosure of source, copyleft, and
attribution.
2) In the special case of someone embedding the symbols in their design, a
simpler license would apply, where they can use a simplified attribution
requirement, people are forbidden from separating the symbols from the
design for their own use in other designs.

Did you read what we did for the 3d models repo? If I read your comment
correctly it means the same as we wrote there. If you think your suggestion
is not satisfied with this license could you give a specific list of
differences?

Here again the link to the 3d model licence page
https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-packages3D/wiki/Model-Licencing

The attribution requirement for case #2 ideally would be a simple "Using
symbols/footprints/models for the Kicad project's library, version X" plus
some permalink where the GPL versions of the libraries can be obtained,
together with the attribution information (embedded in the GIT history, or
preferably an AUTHORS file). If that's not agreeable, perhaps an AUTHORS
file that can be downloaded and bundled with a non-gpl design should comply
with the attribution requirement.

for #2 we used the font exception. We also have a credits file that has a
dual purpose of documenting where the models come from (script or mcad
software example freecad) and who made them. I don't think this would be
practical for other libs though. (it already creates merge conflicts in the
3d repo.)