Re: GitHub Plugin (my nemesis)

Simon, David,

Thanks for the synopsis of your idea David, there are certainly some
advantages to using the submodule approach.

Is it github compatible?

Simon, yes git-submodule is compatible with github. I have a test
repository here - https://github.com/kicad/kicad-footprints - this contains
a submodule for each of the current footprint directories.

Does it simplify the maintenance of the kicad library by the librarians?

Compared to having all the .pretty folders as subdirectories of a single
repo, no. Reorganising libraries or adding new ones is tedious, and for
each of the 100+ .pretty repos, we (the librarians) have to manage:

* Pull requests and isues
* CI tools (e.g. Travis KLC scripts)
* Updating each library when new requirements are enacted (e.g. KLC)
* Ensure that changes in one repo do not conflict with a different repo
* Handle reclassification or moving of footprints between repos

It is also quite possible for submodules to become out of sync. The link
that Simon posted has some a good example of how this can occur (detached
head). I have some projects at work that contain about 5 submodules and it
rapidly becomes difficult to deal with even for a competent user of Git.

It becomes harder for users, too. KiCad users cannot, in the general case,
be classified as competent users of git. Currently, users who wish to
contribute to the footprint libraries have a hard time. For each library
they want to contribute to, they have to fork and manage another
repository. Personally I have done this for 50 separate repositories.

Further, once changes are made to each submodule, the master repository
then needs to be updated otherwise it's not up to date with the latest
changes. Perhaps we can use git hooks here, but this is just further
complication!

Let's also consider consistency. The footprint libraries are (currently)
split into separate repos. However the symbol libraries and 3d model
libraries are not. Should we split them too? Now we have 300+ repositories
to manage.

Let's not make this an academic problem and say "but it's possible to
manage with this complex set of tools"! From the perspective of a
contributor, and as the person who has to manage the libraries, the simpler
the better.

Oliver