Re: GitHub Plugin (my nemesis)

On 02.10.2017 07:00, David Godfrey wrote:
> [..]

> Don't Forget that not all of the world's internet connections are FAST.
> While it might seem a good idea from the librarians perspective to have
> everything in a single repo, IT ISN'T a good idea at all if you happen to be on
> a slow internet connection.
>
> When I say slow, I'm talking common ADSL speeds here in Australia for example.
> They are often 8mbit/s or less.

8 MBit/s is not too shabby. You could download 3.6 gigabytes in one hour.

> [..]

> If the entire lib ended up being ~ 3G (a figure mentioned in other posts) that
> would Take an Unacceptably long time to download.

If you are refering to my post from 2017-09-23:

* The worst-case download size would be 650 MB for everything (history, 3D
models, etc).

* 3.8 Gigabyte is the on-disk size after decompression

As said, 90% of that size comes from generated 3D models. It might make sense to
keep them in a separate repo for people with slow computers or internet connections.

Here are the .git directory (i.e. download with full history) sizes:

  kicad-library (with 3D models)             :  650 MB

  kicad-library (without 3D models)          : < 22 MB  (estimated)
  kicad-footprints (with all 88 submodules)  :   51 MB
  kicad-packages3D-source                    :   16 MB

> For this reason I would STRONGLY advise libraries remain broken up into
> manageable sized repositories

The current situation is madness. The footprints are broken into tiny,
unmanageable chunks for no apparent reason at all.

The only chunk to separate out that makes sense is the 3D models.

Even with the best scripts and tools, git submodules are a pain to work with and
a *BIG* turn-down for contributors.

> Also, keep in mind that a repository never gets smaller, it only grows as
> changes are made.

Yes, but it will grow *very* slowly. Footprints and Library symbols are text
files that compress and diff great.

The generated 3D models might be another story.

> [..]

best regards,
--
Thomas Kindler