Re: wxAUI woes

That must have been painful to find...

A quick read of the Aui code says yes there is a problem. They hide all panels at the beginning of LoadPerspective and then update only panels with keys in the configuration string. So anything new and not in the config file will stay hidden.

I'm not current on kicad gui policy.  That said, everything works as I would expect it to.

A user with an existing config will keep that config and can use the pane toggle in the view menu to turn the pane on. A new user will have an empty config file and will get the default config as defined in the code.

Going forward  LoadSettings() or SaveSettings() probably need a property filter added, as those are where SavePerspective (and LoadPerspective once Dick finishes per his comment in the code) are called.

If the pane is mandatory (no view toggle) you probably need to hard-code unhiding it after LoadPerspective to be nice to users upgrading with config files in place.

Take a peek at the Aui source code if I didn't explain the above well enough and it should quickly make sense.