Re: COMPONENT_TREE performance

What are the roadblocks besides the huge amount of programming effort required for this? Im on linux and I would like this as well.

- Kristoffer

On 2017-12-04 19:09, Bernhard Stegmaier wrote:
On 4. Dec 2017, at 18:55, Chris Pavlina <pavlina.chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 05:53:12PM +0000, Tomasz Wlostowski wrote:
On 04/12/17 18:48, Chris Pavlina wrote:
Hey, just a comment because I see people are wrestling with
COMPONENT_TREE performance as I did when writing it. TEST ON MACOS. The
performance of the widget there has a really different profile from on
other systems. I had to do things in really unobvious ways to make it
perform reasonably there.

I've noticed spending more and more time fixing wxWidgets bugs instead
of Kicad bugs. Maybe we should have a serious look at Qt or Electron
(Webkit/JS-based UI) as a possible future alternative for wx...
YES. I try not to bring it up too much because I know the lead devs
aren't fond of the idea of changing the GUI toolkit, but I strongly
believe we could benefit from that. Obviously it can't really happen
until we ditch wxDC.
 From a macOS perspective I’d really love to see this.
There are many small/big usability/GUI problems that just don’t work on macOS.
The ones I tried to fix always ended up being some wx problem… and I gave up hope that they will get fixed any time soon or late (I am watching/using wx master for that reason, but didn’t see any improvements).

Regards,
Bernhard