Re: [RFC] Eeschema bus upgrades and new connectivity algorithm

Hello all,

Please do not put much focus on the names that I used to refer to the
concepts (vector vs group). I needed a clear way to separate these concepts
to write the code, and those names are the "working titles".  They do not
need to be the final names, and probably don't even need to be visible to
the user (just the developer).

I agree that it would be useful to be able to remind yourself what nets are
part of a bus if you choose to use the alias feature. Remember that you can
already do this through the bus unfolding menu, by right clicking on any
part of a bus. Perhaps other features that are even less work for the user,
like a mouse over hint like Clemens suggested, can be added.

To the comments about the syntax: keep in mind that there needs to be a
balance between ease of use and what can be unambiguous to the code.

Best,
Jon

Hello, Orson!

On 2017-12-14 13:12, Maciej Suminski wrote:
>> But when you add aliases I run into troubles to keep things
separate/clear:
>> {RAM} appears to me as an unnamed bus containing the net RAM. WTF is
that?

> I accept you might not like it, but this comment is not really respectful.

I am sorry if my words were too harsh. I just tried to emphasize that {RAM}
appears confusing to me.
There is no intention to discredit Jons work.

>> Idea: It might be nice to virtually allow folding/unfolding of the net
collection contained in a bus, i.e. by showing MEMORY{*} or MEMORY{..} or
MEMORY{+}, whereas the '*' or '..' or '+' is shown in a different colour.
If that's still to long, I would not mind renaming the bus to MEM{..} or
even M{..}.
>> A simple mouseover M{..} could pop-up to show all nets and arrays the
bus contains.

> I do not fully get the idea. MEMORY in this case stands for a bus
> instance, so you can have several buses of the same type without
> shorting them together. How does */../+ relate to that?

A (Kicad generic) symbol as '*' or '..' or '+' might simply help to
visualize that an object (here: the bus) contains more elements (here: net
names and net arrays) as shown.

Regards,

Clemens