Re: Some thoughts on symbol remapping

Hi Wayne,

> >> If the remapping algorithm cannot find the exact library match which
> >> is currently being used (and should be in the project library list or
> >> the cache) to provide the symbol, then there is no way to determine
> >> the correct library and therefore cannot be remapped.  It also means
> >> that your schematic is already broken.  This is why you should not
> >> skip the rescue feature.
> > I can't quite remember if I skipped the rescue dialog (quite possibly),
> > but I can imagine a user (such as me) would reason that there is no need
> > for rescueing symbols into a rescue library, since all symbols are
> > available in their newly set lib table.
>
> The symbols in your legacy schematic are almost certainly not in the new
> symbol library table given the recent changes to the symbol libraries.
I was under the impression that symbols mostly got moved around, and
only some of them got renamed, but perhaps that impression is wrong.

> They are in your old symbols libraries if you haven't updated them or in
> your project cache library.  Rescuing symbols from the cache is required
> to ensure that same symbols that you used to design the schematic.
Agreed: If the symbols are not in the new libraries (or not with the
same name), rescuing is the way to go.

> > Specifically: If my symbols are not available in the old-style library
> > list, but are available in the new-style library table, I can see three
> > outcomes:

> >  1. If I perform a rescue, I get all symbols remapped to the rescue lib.
>
> This is false.  If the cache is corrupt or the symbol cannot be found in
> any of the libraries in the project library list,
I was working under the assumption of a working cache, should have made
that explicit.

> >  2. If I cancel the rescue, all symbols are unmapped.
> This is false.  As long as the symbol can be found in a library in the
> project library list (not the symbol library table) it will get
> remapped.
As I stated, I'm assuming that the symbol is *not* found in the project
library list (which I called the "old-style library list"), for example
because the old libraries are no longer available or libraries got
renamed.

> >  3. If I cancel the resecue and my fallback-guessing suggestion is
> >     implemented, most of my symbols will be mapped correctly (and
> >     possibly some will be incorrect).
> This is false.  There is no guarantee that any of the symbols will be
> correct or even found by searching through the symbol library table.
I did not expect any guarantees, that's why I said most will be
correct, some might be incorrect. Perhaps I'm estimating the ratio
between correct and incorrect more positive than it is, though.

Gr.

Matthijs