Re: KiCad And Quces

On 01/16/2018 09:38 AM, Christian Gagneraud wrote:
> CC Qucs's maintainer, please feel free to extend.
>
> On 16 January 2018 at 21:14, Babar Malik <babarnamal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I am much more interested to integrate Kicad and Qucs,  and the first step
>> towards this would be to study the source code of Kicad from scratch. Can
>> you please help me regarding to this ? Please guide me from where I should
>> take first step?
>> your help will be highly appreciated.
>
> Hi Babar, (Please keep mailing list(s) posted)
>
> Integrating KiCAD and Qucs can be done at several levels.
> Both projects are written in C++, but one uses WxWidgets, while the
> other is using Qt (3, 4, but not 5).
> So maybe a possible approach would be to try to integrate qucsator
> (the core simulation engine) with KiCAD's GUI.
> That is: do not try to merge/join them at C++ level, but at process level.
> Please also note that Qucs has some friendly forks that attempts to
> consolidate alternative simulation engines (ngspice, xyce, gnucap,
> spice opus, ...)

I think you are right about the approach. It would be even more
convenient if one could interface qucs(ator) via a shared library, as we
currently do with ngspice. Obviously, calling qucs from command line is
likely to work as well, but probably would require some text processing
to make simulation results available to KiCad.

Interesting parts of KiCad source code to study:
https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror/tree/master/eeschema/sim

Regards,
Orson