Re: Request for advice on building an exporting capability from Scheme-it to KiCad

Wayne, thank you so much for the feedback.

It sounds like the simple approach would be generate a netlist format compatible with KiCad.
The problem to solve there would be the footprint data connection.

Long term, an export to a KiCad schematic would be the cleanest solution, but it does require more work.

Thanks for the information.

Ed

Wayne Stambaugh <mailto:stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>
January 18, 2018 at 5:47 AM
Hi Ed,

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking. Are you only talking about
export for board layout or export to a kicad schematic? If you are
talking about a board layout, then the netlist should be adequate.
There is no file format document for the netlist file format but you
should be able to take a sample kicad netlist file and understand the
file format. It is fairly straight forward. Human readability is part
of the new s-expression file formats. You will have to understand how
footprints are loaded from the libraries so that could be tricky. If
you are talking about export to a kicad schematic and symbol library,
that will be more involved. The schematic and symbol library file
formats are documented[1]. However, they soon will be replaced with the
new s-expression format in the next version of kicad. If you really
wanted to make life easier for your users, you could create a kicad
schematic plugin that parses your file formats direction to kicad
objects. This would require you to have a good understanding of the
kicad code base and be an experienced c++ developer. I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Cheers,