Re: spaces not allowed in SCH library nicknames

On 01/27/2018 08:18 AM, jp charras wrote:
> Le 27/01/2018 à 13:41, Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
>>>>

>>> I perhaps missed something, but the only one reason spaces are not accepted in component lib names
>>> (component lib_id) is the fact the space breaks the compatibility with old kicad versions.
>>
>> Compatibility was broken when I introduced the fully qualified LIB_ID so I'm not sure this is and
>> issue.  I also bumped the file version at the time.
>
> In fact, when I am talking about compatibility, I mean just to be able to open a new schematic with
> a 4.0 Kicad version.
>
> This is currently possible, because all components with fully qualified LIB_ID are found in the
> library cache (as long as there is no space in the LIB_ID).

I didn't even attempt to open a remapped schematic with v4.  I surprised
that it works.  It certainly was not my intent.  However, the goal is
backwards compatibility not forward compatibility.  I am not concerned
that schematics created with v5 cannot be opened in v4.  We don't do
this with the board file format so I don't see any reason to ensure
forward compatibility with the schematic file format.  I'm not
suggesting that we intentionally break compatibility but if we want to
add new features and make improvements to the schematic editor I don't
see how we can avoid file compatibility issues on occasion.