Re: Proposed roadmap changes

The separate program issue is just an implementation detail. The main thing
that Kicad is headed for is the refactoring slated for the 6.0 dev cycle.
The cleaner data structure foundation and subsequent decoupling of the
logic from the UI classes will allow all sorts of automation that are
currently very hard or impossible. The vision that was set since over 5
years ago was for Kicad to present a library-like interface to the outside
world. It kind of does now on PCBnew only, but things are slowly improving
as things get refactored and legacy code gets phased out.

I honestly think the last thing Kicad needs right now is a chance of
direction, I speak as a user that has been using Kicad professionally for
just over 2 years now, working on dozens of PCB projects over that time.
The developments in the past few years have been nothing but awesome for a
project with Kicad's resources. We just need to be patient, or try to help
out in a constructive manner.

Over the past couple years I have been using the dev version in production
to take advantage of the new features (dealing with versions/instability
was a small price to pay for me), I also helped a little bit (as time
allowed) with the occasional patch or grumpy bug report. I'd like to thank
everyone that has worked on the project so far; It basically has made it
possible for me to make a living doing what I enjoy, and I really hope the
project can retain the momentum it has built up in the past few months, it
just keeps getting better!

Thanks,
Jose