Re: wxPython-gtk3 woes

Le 10/04/2018 à 13:54, Nick Østergaard a écrit :
> FYI, it has been a problem on fedora for years. So it was not an issue on arch first.
>
> I guess there are multiple approaches to address this issue.
> 1. Platforms can disable the wxpython scripting option which will get rid of the footprint wizards
> and the python console.
> 2. Hack wxpython with gtk2 to be  co-installable with a wxpython with gtk3 on major platforms that
> have upgrade to gtk3 as default. The issue here being wxversion.py.
> 3. Move to wxpython phoenix which should be able to be co-installed with different build
> configurations. This is a big task because of the move from SWIG to SIP and no one really got it
> working right yet, as far as I understand.
>
> Nick

footprint wizards do not need wxPython.

I am usually building kicad on W7 with wxPython support off, and I do not have issues with wizards
and external plugins.

Only plugins that use a wxPython graphic resources can have issues, and I do not know if they exist.
So for most of users, wxPython support is not mandatory.

Phoenix is for tomorrow, not for today.

It was not buildable on msys2 when I tried to build it.
I hope Phoenix will use one day cmake (wxWidgets 3.1.1 can be built using cmake now).

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS