Re: XDG_CONFIG_HOME on all platforms

> I'm a bit late to this conversation so forgive the basic question.
>
> Won't this break things for users that explicitly set XDG_CONFIG_HOME for
> other reasons?

No, unless you set it so that it's used everywhere. On Linux (or *nix) you
can set it for one program instance only, just type in the bash shell:

XDG_CONFIG_HOME="/my/dir" kicad

and kicad will be run once with this env variable. You can for example ($
is the prompt):

$ XDG_CONFIG_HOME="/my/dir" kicad &
$ kicad

and two instances with two different XDG_CONFIG_HOME values are started. I
presume it works similarly on Windows. After some googling I found this:
https://netlicensing.io/blog/2012/06/15/set-environment-variables-in-windows-shortcut/,
which might be useful for more permanent and less hassle-free style to
start a program with customized variable. I have to test it on Windows
later.

Eeli Kaikkonen